EWU Campus Closing Updates
Out of an abundance of caution and in response to the Mayor’s declaration of a State of Emergency and in alignment with the National Weather Service, Edward Waters University will operate on a real time remote basis tomorrow, Thursday, November 10, 2022. This includes all scheduled meetings for faculty and staff, as well as all scheduled instructional classes.
All in person activities including athletic/band practices, meetings, programs and events are cancelled for Thursday. The University will be closed on Friday, November 11, 2022 in recognition of Veteran’s Day.
The Emergency Preparedness Team will continue to meet, and essential staff/service members with Residential Life, Campus Safety and Security, Sodexo Magic Dining, Jani-King Custodial Services and BKR Enterprises Facilities will remain on site to assist and support students on campus as we will not close our residential facilities.
Although the local authorities have not issued an evacuation order, we highly encourage students who have the ability to safely evacuate, to do so today, November 9, 2022. As such, we are working diligently to provide as much time as possible for those who choose to leave to travel safely to their destinations before and after the storm.
Important Requirements for Residential Students
- You are required to complete this form before leaving so the University knows where you are going and has current contact information for you. Please inform your family members of your travel plans prior to leaving campus. Communication will be sent to all parents via our parent email list-serve and the Tiger Den Parent Resource Portal.
- If you are leaving your car on campus, please move your car to the gravel lot at Steele Street and/ or 6th Street, behind Hatcher Stewart only! Please do not park your car under or near trees.
- We will operate on a modified meal schedule with brunch and dinner services. Brunch will begin at 11:00 a.m. and dinner will begin at 5:00 p.m. on Thursday through Sunday in following our normal weekend and holiday meal schedule.
If you are remaining on campus…
If you are a residential student (or at one of our partnering hotels), you may remain on campus. Please note:
- You are required to complete this form so the University knows you plan to stay on campus. Please also let your family know your plans.
- Anyone remaining on campus should plan to move your car to the gravel lot at Steele Street and/ or 6th Street, behind Hatcher Stewart only! Please do not park your car under or near trees.
Reminders for All
Today and tomorrow, local members of the EWU community should:
- Get cash. If the power goes out — and stays out even after storm passes — ATMs and card readers will not be available. It’s a good idea to have a bit of cash on hand, just in case.
- Fill up the gas tank in your car. Again, if our area experiences extended power outages, fuel pumps will not be available.
- Charge your phone. Emergency alerts, like tornado warnings, will be sent via text message. Please turn off any ‘Do Not Disturb’ functionality your phone has, and turn up the volume so you get those notifications.
- You are encouraged to also purchase portable cell chargers and flashlights and to activate your battery saving option on your smartphones.
The safety of the campus community is our top priority and your cooperation is greatly appreciated! The Emergency Preparedness Team will be closely monitoring the storm’s progress throughout the coming days, and we will post updates as new information regarding the storm’s impact on us becomes available.
As we receive critical updates and information, notifications and alerts will be shared immediately via a combination of any of the following communication channels:
- Tiger Alert (make sure your phone number is up to date in Tiger Alert to receive emails, texts and/or phone calls) https://ewc.omnilert.net/subscriber.php
- Official EWU Email
- EWU Website: www.ew.edu
- EWU Emergency Updates: https://www.ew.edu/?s=hurricane
- EWU Social Media channels
o Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ewctigers/
o Twitter: https://twitter.com/ewctigers
o Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ewc_tigers/
Emergency Preparedness Team
Edward Waters University