August 30, 2023 | 5:16PM
Dear Tiger Family:
Safe travels and welcome back!
EWU Campus Closing Updates
Based on recent forecasts and our communication with local authorities, the Governor’s Office, and the National Weather Service, Edward Waters University will be closed tomorrow, August 29th and Wednesday, August 30th. All classes (in-person and online), activities, and events are canceled, and administrative offices will be closed during this time. The Emergency Preparedness Team will continue to meet, and essential staff/service members with Residential Life, Campus Safety and Security, Sodexo Magic Dining, and BKR Facilities will remain on site to assist and support students on campus. Additional updates will be provided by close of business on Wednesday, August 30th.
Because of the likelihood of power outages associated with the storm, we are canceling classes (in-person and online) for these two days rather than transitioning to remote or asynchronous coursework. Students, your professors will address makeup instruction, assignments, etc., with you on a class-by-class basis as needed. Students who experience difficulty or challenges in communicating with faculty should email email@example.com.
Regarding Voluntary Evacuations
Although the local authorities have not issued an evacuation order, we highly encourage students who have the ability to safely evacuate, to do so. As such, we are working diligently to provide as much time as possible for those who choose to leave to travel safely to their destinations before and after the storm.
As student safety is of prime significance, once again, we highly encourage students who have the ability to safely evacuate, to do so. We are prepared, under the current forecast weather conditions, to safely house students in the Adams Jenkins Music and Sports Complex with emergency accommodations.
Important Requirements for Residential Students
- You are required to complete this form before leaving so the University knows where you are going and has current contact information for you. Please inform your family members of your travel plans prior to leaving campus. Communication will be sent to all parents via our parent email list-serve and the Tiger Den Parent Resource Portal.
- If you are leaving your car on campus, please move your car to the gravel lot at Steele Street and/ or 6th Street, behind Hatcher Stewart only! Please do not park your car under or near trees.
If you are remaining on campus…
If you are a residential student remaining on campus we are prepared to accommodate you. If conditions require, we will relocate our residential students to Adams Jenkins Sports and Music Complex.
- You are required to complete this form so the University knows you plan to stay on campus. Please also let your family know your plans.
- Anyone remaining on campus should plan to move your car to the gravel lot at Steele Street and/ or 6th Street, behind Hatcher Stewart only! Please do not park your car under or near trees.
- Those who voluntarily decide to remain on campus will not be permitted to leave until the weather conditions have been cleared as determined by the University.
Reminders for All
Today and tomorrow, local members of the EWU community should:
- Get cash. If the power goes out — and stays out even after storm passes — ATMs and card readers will not be available. It’s a good idea to have a bit of cash on hand, just in case.
- Fill up the gas tank in your car. Again, if our area experiences extended power outages, fuel pumps will not be available.
- Charge your phone. Emergency alerts, like tornado warnings, will be sent via text message. Please turn off any ‘Do Not Disturb’ functionality your phone has, and turn up the volume so you get those notifications.
- You are encouraged to also purchase portable cell chargers and flashlights and to activate your battery saving option on your smartphones.
The Emergency Preparedness Team will be closely monitoring the storm’s progress throughout the coming days, and we will post updates as new information regarding the storm’s impact on us becomes available
As we receive critical updates and information, notifications and alerts will be shared immediately via a combination of any of the following communication channels:
- Tiger Alert (make sure your phone number is up to date in Tiger Alert to receive emails, texts and/or phone calls) https://ewc.omnilert.net/subscriber.php
- Official EWU Email
- EWU Website: www.ew.edu
- EWU Emergency Updates: https://www.ew.edu/alerts
- EWU Social Media channels
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ewu1866/
- X (formerly Twitter): https://twitter.com/ewctigers
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ewc_tigers/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/school/edwardwaterscollege/mycompany/
Emergency Preparedness Team
Edward Waters University