March 17, 2020
From the Office of Human Resources & Administrative Services
Greetings EWC Community,
This letter is a follow-up to communications and correspondence previously sent to the Edward Waters College (EWC) faculty, staff, and students on March 3, 2020, March 5, 2020, March 11, 2020, and March 16, 2020. As of today, EWC continues its regular hours of operation of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Though classes have moved to an exclusively online instructional delivery platform, normal day to day operations of the institution remain intact.
As previously communicated, EWC is continuing to adhere to all recommended regulations and guidelines from government authorities related to the containment of COVID-19. As such, for those of you who remain on-campus, we have proactively implemented several preventative measures outlined below, due to the growing concerns regarding the Coronavirus.
Preventative measures currently in place include:
- Cleaning and Disinfection Protocols: We have implemented additional cleaning and disinfection protocols for the entire campus community. These protocols will be enforced in addition to our already rigorous sanitization standards in place. To contact cleaning facilities directly, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 904-470-8164.
- We have placed posters that encourage staying home when sick, cough and sneeze etiquette, and hand hygiene at various building entrances and other workplace areas where they are likely to be seen.
- Provided no-touch disposal receptacles for use by employees.
- Directed employees to clean their hands often with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60-95% alcohol, or wash their hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Soap and water should be used preferentially if hands are visibly dirty.
- Provided soap and water in the workplace. We have ensured that adequate supplies are maintained.
- Best Practices for Personal Health: Human coronaviruses are usually spread from an infected person to others through the air by coughing and sneezing, close personal contact (such as shaking hands), touching an object or surface with the virus on it, then touching your mouth nose or eyes before washing your hands, or (rarely) fecal contamination.
o To reduce your risk of infection: Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands, and avoid close contact with people who are sick. Please continue to practice appropriate social distancing.
- Employee Travel: Travel for faculty and staff is suspended through June 30, 2020, with exceptions authorized by the President & CEO only.
o Travel: If any faculty or staff have traveled to any areas (nationally or internationally) where cases have been reported, please immediately notify the College of such. If exposed to the virus, we are asking those individuals to self-isolate as recommended by the CDC, the World Health Organization and the U.S. State Department.
- Meetings: Staff and other meetings can be conducted by phone or video conference per the advisement of the area Vice President.
- Classes: As of now, EWC requires all courses to be delivered online. As such, students and faculty are preparingfor the online delivery of courses to begin March 23, 2020 through the remainder of the semester.
- Cafeteria: During this time, to-go brunch and dinner will be provided to on-campus students.
- Athletics: At this time, Athletic competitions are cancelled per the Director of Intercollegiate Athletics.
The safety and well-being of EWC students, faculty and staff members is our top priority. We are closely monitoring guidance by the CDC, World Health Organization and other public health authorities, taking proper health precautions where warranted. We are also encouraging the college community to take any signs of illness seriously and seek medical attention as needed.
Guidelines for Suspected Illness and When to Stay/Go Home:
- Employees who have symptoms of acute respiratory illness are to stay home and not come to work until they are free of fever (100.4° F [37.8° C] or greater using an oral thermometer), signs of a fever, and any other symptoms for at least 24 hours, without the use of fever-reducing or other symptom-altering medicines (e.g. cough suppressants). Employees should notify their supervisor and stay home if they are sick.
- Employees who appear to have acute respiratory illness symptoms (i.e. cough, shortness of breath) upon arrival to work or become sick during the day should be sent home immediately to seek medical consultation.
- Employees who are well but who have a sick family member at home with COVID-19 should notify their supervisor, the Office of Human Resources, and refer to CDC guidance for how to conduct a risk assessment of their potential exposure.
To protect EWC from COVID-19 while ensuring continuity of operations, all sick employees should stay home and away from the workplace, respiratory etiquette and hand hygiene should be encouraged, and routine cleaning of commonly touched surfaces should be performed regularly.
Please check periodically for updates and information via the College website at www.ewc.edu, campus email, and the College’s social media outlets, as these are the primary means of communication. Further, you may also follow updates from the local news affiliates.
The Edward Waters College administration thanks you for all you are doing to respond to the coronavirus. We will continue to reassess our practices based on developments and will advise you of any changes. Additionally, we encourage all of you to reach out to your immediate supervisor with any questions that may arise. Understandably, this is a time of uncertainty and stress; however, we appreciate your commitment to EWC in the face of these unprecedented challenges.
Previously Released Statements:
EWC Transitioning to Online Instructional Delivery | Monday, March 16, 2020, 8:00 PM
Statement to Faculty, Staff, & Students – Wednesday, March 11, 2020 | 7:30 PM
Statement to Faculty, Staff & Students – Thursday, March 5, 2020 | 4:23 PM
Statement to Faculty & Staff | Tuesday, March 3, 2020, 12:54 PM
Statement to Faculty, Staff & Students | Tuesday, March 3, 2020, 5:15 PM
EWC Statement on Athletic Competition
View the Student Emergency Financial Aid Update
About The Author: Justin Walker
More posts by Justin Walker